Duration: 4 Weeks Onsite
Hours: 130 Hours
Total TEFL Course Tuition: €1,150 EUR ($1,350 USD)
Reserve with a Deposit of: €288 EUR ($329 USD), deducted from Total Tuition
Why take your TEFL Course in Czech Republic?
· Qualified language teachers in Prague are at a high demand! Prague has an active, healthy TEFL industry with a multitude of language schools, both large and small as well as primary schools, high schools and universities, offering language teaching employment for qualified candidates.
· Extensive job guidance and interview preparation. Trainers and directors of studies of our TEFL course in Prague offer 3 course hours dedicated to job guidance and helping successful trainees in find TEFL employment in addition to individualized employment counseling sessions.
· Our TEFL course in Prague takes place on the same campus of an operating language school, where trainees will have the chance to mix with in-service teachers, comparing notes and talking to them about what the TEFL world in Prague is really like.
· Smaller class size assures lots of individual attention for all trainees and personalized trainer support.
· Our very experienced trainers with an average of 10 years teaching and training experience are all in-service teachers themselves and have worked for dozens of schools around the globe.
· Observed teaching practice with 3 different levels of adult classes
· The unique opportunity to add 4 sessions of observed Young Learners teaching practice as part of the TEFL course in Prague. Young Learners is one of the industry’s fastest growing, highest demand areas and this first-hand experience makes our candidates even more marketable in a competitive professional marketplace.
· Highly professional job guidance and many school contacts to our partner language schools in the Czech Republic and abroad.
Study in the Czech Republic
The Czech Republic’s famous capital is not the only jewel in her crown. Prague, one of the most beautiful cities in the world, is so rich with history and culture that walking through you can almost taste it. Whether your inklings tend toward medieval pageantry or early 20th century Cubism; there is something for every palate in this amazing city. The Majestic Prague castle and imposing Saint Vitus Cathedral, dominating the impressive Prague skyline, lend a fairy-tale air to this charming architectural oasis on the Vltava. Not to mention the allure of quaint cobblestone streets with their plethora of cafes and pubs with fine local beer and wine just waiting to be sampled. Prague is a true city of culture with fascinating museums, galleries, theatres, night clubs and opera houses galore. The nation’s capital and largest city, Prague regularly hosts prestigious exhibitions, concerts of every type imaginable from steam punk to Dvorak and both international and local festivals of music, art, theatre, food and drink of every proportion. Add to this a dozen world-heritage sites including Karlstejn Castle, the story-book town of Cesky Krumlov, and the lovely Bohemian spa town of Karlovy Vary (home to the annual International Film Festival); all a mere day trip from Prague and easily accessible via public transport. For lovers of more natural pursuits, areas like the Sumava Mountains and Krkonose National Park provide great hiking and biking in the summer and alpine and cross-country skiing in winter.
Accredited TEFL Program
The TEFL Course in Prague is accredited by Fort Hays State University from Kansas, USA, which validates that our 4-week certificate course meets all the generally required international standards by schools areound the world, as well as those set down by the Fort Hays ESL Program. Certificate holders of this program are eligible for college credit toward the Fort Hays TESOL MA program. Fort Hays State University provides ongoing validation to our TEFL Course in Prague, through continued moderation of the academic program on an annual basis. Fort Hays State University itself, is tegionally accredited by North Central Association of Colleges and Schools Higher Learning Commission, based in Chicago, USA. It is also member of Association of American Colleges and Universities.
The TEFL Course in Prague meets or exceeds all international standards, comprising 130 hours of classroom study in Teaching English as a Foreign Language methodology, language awareness and job guidance input sessions, including observed lesson planning and teaching practice and trainer/trainee feedback. Within the program, you will conduct over 6 hours of supervised real teaching practice of young learners as well as pre-intermediate, intermediate and advanced level adult classes. The course content has been developed and refined over many years with input from experienced teachers and experts from around the world. We combine the insights from modern theories of language acquisition with the tried and tested approaches and techniques used by experienced teachers. You will learn to teach within a framework, which is clear enough to guide you for your early lessons, and flexible enough to guide your development and creativity, as you gain experience during your teaching career. Our teaching and training philosophy is learner-centred, practical and active. We believe that teaching a language is not a matter of transmitting facts but rather of allowing students to learn experientially. The same is true for training teachers; learning to teach in this way is challenging but rewarding. While preparing you for the classroom, your work during the program will develop your skills of leadership, creativity, teamwork and self-reflection.
2018 Course Dates
January 15 – February 9
April 30 – May 25
June 4 – June 29
July 2 – July 27
August 6 – August 31
September 10 – October 5
November 19 – December 14
Included features within Total Course Fee:
· 4 week TEFL training of 130 hours.
· 1st day of the course: Welcome dinner and welcome breakfast.
· Guaranteed Job Placement* (See requirements).
· Accredited and internationally recognized TEFL certificate.
· Lifelong career guidance worldwide.
· 50-hour specialised online course (Business English or Teaching Young Learners)
· Guided tour of Prague on Sunday before the course begins.
· Visa agency presentation.
· Free language Lessons.
· Free coffee and tea.
· Free accommodation placement.
· Supplementary course materials, stationery supplies, printing and photocopying.
· Unlimited Access to extensive TEFL library, staff room, school library (5,000 textbooks) and computers.
· Free wireless internet service in the school.
· Graduation celebration!
Job Guarantee in Prague and Job Guidance Worldwide
Eligible candidates for the Guaranteed Job Placement in Prague must have:
· Satisfactorily completed all required coursework .
· Taught all teaching practice lessons and received an average 80 percent pass rate.
· Received a 75 percent or higher grade on the final language awareness exam.
· Completed and submitted on time all written assignments and received a passing grade.
· 100 percent attendance, or in extenuating circumstances such as illness, make-up assignments have been completed and submitted in lieu of sessions missed.
· Demonstrated professional and responsible conduct as well as respect for trainers, students and peers throughout the duration of the course.
· Professional and responsible conduct and respect for trainers, students and peers has been displayed throughout the duration of the course.
· Received the recommendation for employment by the lead trainer.
· Since this kind of language teaching is quite autonomous, trainees need to show that they are self-motivated, organized and can work independently or at least with minimal employer input once they have completed the course.
As we are attached to a long-established Prague language school with a solid reputation for quality, we have professional connections through various partner schools and expertise to place successful graduates in language schools in the area. Teachers with ESP experience i.e. business or finance degrees or experience, IT and technical degrees and experience, legal and medical experience are highly sought after!
It is important to clarify that graduates of the TEFL Course in Prague do not necessarily need to be native speakers to qualify for the job placement, but although the TEFL industry in the Czech Republic (and Europe generally) is thriving and there is a lot of teaching work to be had, it is very competitive and standards are quite high. It is recommended that non-native English speakers be able to prove their English proficiency (ideally by having an internationally recognized certificate e.e. CAE, CPE, IELTS or TOEFL scores at C1 level or above) and have a university degree in any subject. In the case of non-native English speakers, it is mainly to insure that we can best guide them in finding a job after their graduation.
Additionally, through the Job Offer program, you will be introduced to different private, public and language schools around the world, and we will assist you in the whole process.
Not included in the course price:
Work Visa Assistance: The administrative staff will issue your legal working permit, for which there are extra fees involved to pay for additional services, not related to the TEFL training itself, such as: the embassy trip to file your paperwork, preparing the paperwork, etc.
This long-term visa assistance is approx. 7300 CZK, which is 350 USD. It does not include the cost of translations and visa documents themselves (proof of accomodation, health insurance, trade licence), administrative fees of the authorities and shipping (if necessary). We also help graduates get the trade licence, which costs around 6000 CZK, approx. $290 USD.
COURSE SYLLABUS AND ASSESSMENT
Language awareness and skills-based lessons
12 X 90 min. sessions in total
Includes sessions on:
· Tense and Aspect
· Meaning, Form and Use
· Future forms
· Functional Language
· Receptive and productive skills
Lesson planning and teaching methodology
17 x 90 min. sessions
Includes sessions on:
· Introduction to lesson planning design
· Lesson stages and aims
· Classroom management
· Error correction
· Learner Motivation and Learning Styles
· Presenting grammar and vocabulary
· Teaching mixed levels and one on one lessons
· Warmers and icebreakers
· Teaching beginners and low levels
· Alternative teaching methods
· Needs analysis
· ELT testing and evaluation
3 x 90 min. sessions
Includes sessions on:
· The sounds of English and intro to phonemic script
· English stress, rhythm and intonation
· Teaching pronunciation
Teaching ESP and specialized English
2 x 90 min. sessions
Includes sessions on:
· Teaching business English and ESP and EAP
An unknown foreign language experience
2 x 90 min sessions
+ 2500-word written assignment (language depends on intakes previous experience e.g. Japanese, Czech, Farsi etc.)
Teaching young learners
1 x 90 min. sessions
· Warmers and icebreakers
· Classroom management and discipline
· Presenting activities
Language awareness mock and final exam
2 x 90 min sessions + feedback
Professional development, job guidance and mock interviews
3 x 90 min sessions + feedback
OBSERVED TEACHING AND FEEDBACK:
Observation and team teaching
15 x 90 min. followed by 15 x 60 min feedback
COURSEWORK AND ASSIGNMENTS:
· Pre-course assignment
· Unknown foreign language journal 2500 words
· Learner profile assignment 2500 words
· Authentic materials assignment 2500 words
· Teaching practice portfolio
· Lesson plans
· Feedback and self-assessment forms for 4 weeks of teaching
· Authentic or created materials
Our training team is composed of an international group of professionally qualified trainers with a diverse range of experience and specializations. Our lead trainer and career placement advisor, Miss Thompson holder of CELTA and DELTA qualifications, originally hails from NH, USA and has been a full-time TEFL teacher since 1996. She has been a TEFL trainer since 2010 and has taught in the US, Japan, Slovakia and the Czech Republic. She is also a Director of Studies and recruiter for Threshold Training Associates, Prague.
Upon graduation, you have the option to work full-time (at least 22 hours a week) or part-time. Part-time teachers usually teach around 15 lessons a week, teachers with full-time schedules have 22-30 hours a week. It is always better to start slowly, with fewer lessons (this will give you more time to plan your lessons and get used to the job) and add more and more lessons gradually.
In Prague, some teachers work for one school only, some accept jobs in two or more different schools. It is really up to you to decide which courses you will accept and thus how many hours you will teach. A lot of teachers also like to have private individual students to fill the gaps in their schedules and earn some extra money.
The amount of money you will earn depends on the number of hours you teach and the structure of your lessons. Your pay will start at around 200 CZK per hour. The more experienced you get the more you get paid. Also, private lessons are paid a bit better than group courses (however, there is a bigger risk of students cancelling the lessons). EXAMPLE: Let’ s say a month has 4,5 working weeks, you teach 25 hours a week, 23 group lessons for 200 CZK/hour and 2 individual lessons for 300 CZK/hour. You will earn 20 700 CZK + 2 700CZK = 23 400 CZK.
Most of our graduates work for our sister companies. The schools operate throughout the whole of the Czech Republic with offices in Prague, Mladá Boleslav, Brno and Hradec Králové (jobs are mainly offered in Prague). The team is international and consists of approximately 450 teachers from various parts of the world, as well as from the Czech Republic.
LOCATION: The house is located 30 minutes away from school in a nice residential area in Prague. Students of our TEFL Course in Prague need to take the bus and metro to get to school.
ROOMS: There are single rooms and double rooms. The rooms are light and comfortable, equipped with a bed, a table and a chair, a working lamp, a wardrobe and a chest of drawers. Bed linen is provided, trainees need to bring their own towels.
BOARD: The house is self-catering. There is a large kitchen equipped with all necessary appliances and utensils.
FACILITIES: The house has 2 shared bathrooms, a laundry room, drying racks, a flat iron and an ironing board. There is also a rooftop terrace with a beautiful view of Prague and a garden.
CHECK-IN: Friday to Sunday before the course start.
CHECK-OUT: Tuesday after the course.
*You are welcome to search for your own housing and get the Basic TEFL Package.
Do you recommend an online course or this 4 week TEFL program in-person?
We believe that the hands-on teaching practice is a very important part of the course – it prepares our trainees really well for their teaching career and makes them feel confident to stand in front of a class. Also, on-site TEFL courses are preferred by employers worldwide, applicants that have only done an on-site course are very often not accepted (unless they have significant teaching experience).
Does this TEFL Course in Prague offer teaching with adults and children?
During the TEFL Course in Prague, you will be teaching mainly adults (teaching practice takes place in the afternoons when children are at school, so it would be very difficult to have them attend our lessons). However, the course includes workshops on how to teach children and young learners and after the course you can teach adults, teens or children, depending on what you prefer.
What is the average salary a teacher in Prague makes?
The amount of money you will earn depends on the number of hours you teach and the structure of your lessons. Your pay will start at around 200 CZK per hour. The more experienced you get the more you get paid. Also, private lessons are paid a bit better than group courses (however, there is a bigger risk of students cancelling the lessons). Let’s say a month has 4,5 working weeks, you teach 25 hours a week, 23 group lessons for 200 CZK/hour and 2 individual lessons for 300 CZK/hour. You will earn 20 700 CZK + 2 700CZK = 23 400 CZK. But you can always earn more by adding extra lessons (our academic HR department sends out a list of available courses every couple of weeks) or you can get a part-time job somewhere else to earn some extra money. Good teachers earn up to 30 000 CZK, which is above average in the Czech Republic. Additionally, we recommend that you join Facebook Groups so you are up-to-date witht he latest job offers in prague.
Can I make my own schedule/decide how many hours per week I want to work?
Generally, language schools in Prague are very flexible and teachers do have a say in how many lessons they want to have and what their schedule should look like. For example, in our language school, the HR department will ask you about your preferences at the interview and put together a schedule they think will suit you. Then they will send you the schedule for your review and if there are any lessons that do not work for you, they can cancel them or move them to a different time (if possible). And you can always say that you do not want certain lessons. So yes, they try to be as flexible as possible.
Will the work visa obtained through the TEFL course allow me to teach anywhere in the EU or only in Prague?
The visa is only valid for the Czech Republic. You can travel freely within the EU with it, but to be able to work in a different country, you need to get a separate visa. You can have other jobs with this visa, a lot of our graduates work in cafes, restaurants or as tour guides.
Do I have to wait to apply for a visa once the program is over?
Not at all, we usually start the visa process at the beginning of the TEFL Course in Prague.
Do you help with apartment searches?
Yes. In week 1 of the TEFL Course in Prague there is a housing guidance workshop where we talk about how to find a place in Prague. We also work very closely with a relocation company that can help you find a place if you do not want to look all on your own.
By taking our TEFL Course in Prague, you receive so much more than a TEFL Certificate and guaranteed job placement in Czech Republic, you will get priceless experiences! Your classmates will be a fun mix of people of all ages and professions, from all over the world, creating unforgettable friendships and enjoying the endless surprises that Europe has to offer.